QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

egr valve

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saintsboy

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 16:52    Post subject: egr valve Reply with quote

right old topic i know but need some advise
removed my egr last sat and it was completly blocked so i cleaned it properley with clutch and brake cleaner made sure it was freely working replaced the valve and then removed the bolt that was blocking the vacuum pipe to test the valve
started paj and it ran like *beep* loads of thick black smoke lots of clattering from engine and very low power
can anyone help
Rob
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 16:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

graham kemp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you find a cure let me no as ive got same problem,driving paj around with a golf tee in vacum pipe at the mo,cleaned mine out on sat as well put all back and then a load of black smoke and knocking Embarassed
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do a lot worse than try a blanking plate <--- click here !!! Wink

Simon
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as mine aswell blanking plate from club shop solves the problem but the initial cause i dont know as mine run fine before this happened im going for the injecter route as i chaged a set of injecters in a mates shogun and the difference was unbelivable
graham kemp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting a mechanic to have a look on friday,will tell him to check injecters and see if timeing is ok,also change all filters inc fuel,and take off and clean egr again,as im thinking same as mark that if its on the paj it should work scratch
mark.bass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say mitsi recommended to change the injecters first and if that didnt do it then it would be pump recalabration they seem to think it would be one or the other
graham kemp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it that one little vacum pipe can affect how she runs and drives?? Confused Confused Confused
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
removed my egr last sat and it was completly blocked so i cleaned it properley with clutch and brake cleaner made sure it was freely working replaced the valve and then removed the bolt that was blocking the vacuum pipe to test the valve
stated paj and it ran like *beep* loads of thick black smoke lots of clattering from engine and very low power
can anyone help

Why Oh why. do people insist that the first solution to a problem like this is
a blanking plate ..

I don't have one ..and my engine dosn't do any of the above ..
Buckets of power ..a slight puff on flooring it and it runs like a sewing machine... My Smoke test figures are also well within MOT specs.

Therefore ..the problem MUST in this case at least lie somewhere else.

Any good diagnostic process must begin with some questions if a logical cause and solution is to be arrived at.

1. How was the engine before the work was done.
2. Was the erg valve in question stuck ..was it stuck open or closed.
3. What mileage has the engine done.
4. What known service history is there.
5. When was the oil , fuel filter, air filter changed last.
6. Is this a problem that has gradually built up or suddenly appeared.

Come on people ..use your heads ..!
Don't jump to conclusions..

There are a number of things that could cause this .. Without further
information everyone's guessing ... Not helping..!

JayCee
mark.bass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayCee wrote:
Quote:
stated paj and it ran like *beep* loads of thick black smoke lots of clattering from engine and very low power
can anyone help

Why Oh why. do people insist that the first solution to a problem like this is
a blanking plate ..

I don't have one ..and my engine dosn't do any of the above ..
Buckets of power ..a slight puff on flooring it and it runs like a sewing machine... My Smoke test figures are also well within MOT specs.

Therefore ..the problem MUST in this case at least lie somewhere else.

Any good diagnostic process must begin with some questions if a logical cause and solution is to be arrived at.

1. How was the engine before the work was done.
2. Was the erg valve in question stuck ..was it stuck open or closed.
3. What mileage has the engine done.
4. What known service history is there.
5. When was the oil , fuel filter, air filter changed last.
6. Is this a problem that has gradually built up or suddenly appeared.

Come on people ..use your heads ..!
Don't jump to conclusions..

There are a number of things that could cause this .. Without further
information everyone's guessing ... Not helping..!

JayCee

my engine was fine one minuite and knocking and smoking the next

last service 54,000 all mitsi parts fitted full 54,000 service carried out
egr was dirty cleaned solved problem for 200 miles and started again milage now 55,000 blanking plate does solve problem for now i,e no smoke no knocking more power but as ive stated in previous posts its masking the problem but i can still use the car while i eliminate things from the equaition i went to mitsi and asked what is the cause of this problem they said injecters then pump is what they would do so that is the road im going down but i need to use my car in the mean time so why is that not using your head fitting a blanking plate while a proccess of elimination is taking place ????? ive done the service all mitsi parts fitted as said no difference next injecters ill let you know if it makes any difference the blanking plate works for some people if that is the road they wish to remain on then thats their choice but i will be continueing with my replacing things untill its right but remmember many people have the blanking plate fitted and it serves its purpose and if people are happy to spend a fiver then why not solve the problem like that instead of speanding loads of money on replacing parts just to get it right thats what the club is about saving money and easy repairs it just so happens that i want mine running perfect so i will contie with my project of replacing parts

getting off my soap box now but if needed i will get back on Wink Wink Laughing Laughing
mark.bass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote from another post

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 20:47 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same as mine mate i cleaned mine but blanked the egr that stopped the knocking and smoke the knocking is deisel knock due to over fueling if you blank the egr for now then look at the cause of the problem im going to remove my blanking plate and change injecters to see if that cures it fully as the blanking plate is just masking the real problem but its doing the job for now
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why is that not using your head fitting a blanking plate while a proccess of elimination is taking place

Hi Mark..

I was referring to a "solution" to a problem not a temporary fix.

A properly working diesel engine shouldn't behave in that way ..
If cleaning the erg fixed it for 200 miles or so ..what's making it clog up..?

Just asking .. Rolling Eyes
mark.bass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is over fueling mitsi say its injectors or pump so im going down the injecter route first but at the same time if i wasnt so fussy about things working right i would leave the blanking plate on and forget about it thats the choice there is that is the help i can offer for now no one can say for sure what cuases it as it could be different fror each indevidual moter but we can only offer our help and previos experiances to people that need it so telling people they aint using there heads is a bit harsh i feel mate as we are all trying to help each other here it is up to individuals to accept the help and advise that is offered or go down there own route that my opinion anyway Wink Wink
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think it is over fueling mitsi say its injectors or pump so im going down the injecter route first

200 miles seems pretty quick for over fueling to cause that ..
Is there any evidence of oil in the intercooler pipes ..?

Quote:

telling people they aint using there heads is a bit harsh i feel mate

Well Mark, .. perhaps.,
But some people aren't thinking things through .and remember there are all sorts of skill levels represented on here .. Some would happily undertake an engine change ..while some would have trouble finding the air filter never mind changing it..
I just feel it is the responsibility of more technically capable members to try to find (By asking a series of questions) the root of any problem.

I think we both have the same personal attitude to fixing things ,
I.E. .. I will get to the root cause of a problem and replace whatever is faulty ..or bust. I'ts in my nature .

Remember ..that many of these posts are read long after the issue date ,
and without a full description of the solution it is easy to accidently mislead people who may see a temporary fix suggested and assume it is a permanent solution.

Best of luck with yours BTW..

JayCee
saintsboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

my egr was gloged up but i dont know if it was open or shut though
i now know that it is free and should be doing wot it was designed for but ths vacuum pipe was blocked off before i cleaned the valve
so wot im saying is this it made no difference to the car after cleaning the valve and unblocking the vacuum pipe
so reading this post il start looking at the injectors and fuel pump as i dont want to block the egr as said before its there for a reason!
Dave B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I jump in here without reading the thread fully, Are you peeps talking about NEW injectors. I have had Diesels for many years and have never replaced an injector even on a Fiesta that covered 270,000 miles with me (and still runs well) All I have done in the past is on the first sight of smoke give the car to the then local diesel service (Warrington Diesels) and had them check the injectors and rebuild/clean as required. If the injector has a JET of diesel then it will make the engine smoke if all are the same then the engine will blow smoke as well as run like a bag of *beep*. The injector must have a spray of fuel and can only be tested with the proper equipment. DON’T try with the injector out of the engine as the pressure used to open up the injector can inject fuel into the body through skin.

I will shut up now.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: