QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Air Conditioning Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metnav1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 15:03    Post subject: Air Conditioning Problems Reply with quote

Well I had a leak.

So I pressure tested with nitrogen at 250 PSI. No sign of a leak, no hissing anywhere.

I filled it up with gas, and dye. The tell tale bubbles where evident in the site glass 24 hours later. But no sign of dye anywhere.

A week later the AC quits; still no sign of dye.

I pressure tested again with nitrogen at 250 PSI; still no leaks evident.

I gassed and dyed the system again, and again 24 hours later the site glass showed significant bubbles.

5 days later the AC quit.

Suddenly the rear pipe that is usually the problem was covered in dye. The leak was underneath the foam insulator, and the foam absorbed the dye until it was soaked through.

I replaced the pipe; What a sod. I had to torch the connections and still ended up damaging the threads. I retapped the threads and finally got the pipe on.

I pressure checked it with nitrogen at 250 PSI, after 20 seconds I blew the connection on the larger pipe next to the replaced pipe.

I replaced the connector "O" ring and reconnected it. Pressure checked at 250 PSI. No problems.

I regassed the system, and hopefully it's fixed.

Is this the norm ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 15:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Sam-F

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leak can be hard to find at times
pressure testing with nitrogen at 250 PSI is very high I know the high pressure side will go this high when running but you are also charging the low pressure side with the nitrogen and 250 PSI can damage it
If a car is suspected of having a leak I charge with nitrogen to 100 PSI close the gauges and leave it for 30 mins then check the gauges again for any pressure drop if all seems ok I will then take the system into vacuum and close the gauges again for 15/20min then again check for lost on the vac gauge
I find the vacuum will show leaks the pressure will not and vice versa
Metnav1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam-F,
I used to use 100 PSI on the R12 systems, but since the new stuff has a smaller molecular structure (it's thinner and leaks more easily Shocked ), and requires higher pressure to obtain the same cooling level as R12, I feel 250 PSI is more likely to hiss for a small leak Smile

I'm a bit impatient so I only leave the gauges for about 10 minutes.

I'm not an HVAC guy; I have worked on them, mostly industrial units in far away places, trying to keep essential electronic systems cooled.

I also work my own car systems, because decent HVAC guys are hard to find.

Keep up the good work, the world needs you; global warming is here to stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: