QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

8 mth in on mitsi ownership wots gone wrong ?????

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain England
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo....Welcome to the madhouse  Very Happy

Regarding your handbrake light.....I suspect this doubles as a brake fluid low light......if so they are very accurate and will come on when the fluid reservoir only needs a teaspoonful to be added. Might be worth a look  Smile
HTH
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

jimboz4

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

mornin captain, thanx for the welcome, and the advice, i'll check it today, i also heard that there is some sort of exhaust pipe on the break master cylinder on the ISUZU TROOPER 3 Ltr, does the paj have the same sort of system,  my mate has an ISUZU, he had the same light problem, ...he removed the pipe, and the light went out, put the pipe back on , and his breaking system was awesome after that.......????

Very Happy  jimbo  Very Happy
Captain England
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimboz4 wrote:
mornin captain, thanx for the welcome, and the advice, i'll check it today, i also heard that there is some sort of exhaust pipe on the break master cylinder on the ISUZU TROOPER 3 Ltr, does the paj have the same sort of system,  my mate has an ISUZU, he had the same light problem, ...he removed the pipe, and the light went out, put the pipe back on , and his breaking system was awesome after that.......????

Very Happy  jimbo  Very Happy

hello.....Not that I'm aware of....however we do have an Itoc Spy on here who may be able to tell you something about the trooper that helps. He is known as markymoan .
Tonka
Events rep (North East)
Events rep (North East)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the usual service items and a water pump (and the pump seals Rolling Eyes ) mine was perfect. Never let me down.

Until I let her go............................two weeks after the gear box packed up. So the guy thought. He put a new box in. Same fault. Wouldn't go into OD.

I saw him one day and suggested a new engine temp sensor.....................sorted.

Still running well apparently  Wink
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine Blind off the Bay 2 years ago [never thought my bid would win] travelled  miles to pick her up, full of trepidation all the way home, [STH Wales To Essex] as it didnt look as good as the pics. Never Regretted it all ive ever had to do Water pump, servicing, break pads, recently bottom pulley, exhaust tail pipe, bit of bodywork [dents in transit and the slight dammage it had on purchase] paint to tidy up Oh! no matter what I try I cant get the sun roof to work, think its had a replacement rubber or summat, all in all Great motor especially when you consider almost 15 years old. better than some of my other vehicles, one 3 years old nowt but hand in pocket. HOORAY summat Good about them at last
nodicesplicer

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

only a couple months of ownership.....but had to have the alternator rebuilt. That better be it for awhile, though I do know I need brake pads and an oil change. Rolling Eyes
dive3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months on, and quite a list!

I got mine for well below book with low mileage (107,000) because it had been poorly maintained. Its a LWB 2.8td

Here's whats been done....
New thermostat
new starter
injector pump seal
exhaust
5 new tyres
glow plugs
bus bar
installed glow plug bypass switch
glow plug relay replaced
glow plug ecu replaced
new discs / pads / rear assembly and shoes
full 12,000 mile service
rear stoplight / indicator assembly
EGR valve fix
coolant temp sensor
new rocker gasket and half moons
new nearside front CV joint and boots
four new shock absorbers

On the to do list, needs a new front propshaft as transfer box side UJ is shot, and drivers side front door and wing.
The engine is very sweet, and gives me 25mpg in normal use, managing 32.5mpg on a long (gentle) motorway run.

Well worth the money spent  Embarassed . Great for lugging scuba gear or towing the club trailer, and fab on touring holidays.

dive3
teapot

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's realy not what it cost to keep in good order what else would you get ? not the landie XXX
  shorley only 2 others i would ever think of getting if i could aford patrol or l/crusier 90/93 model
jaden1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 92 2.5 tdi swb on 10/02/09 mot'd 06/02/09 for full year and taxed 6 months with 97,000 miles and no history.

20/02/09  replaced air/oil/fuel filters, engine oil, glow plugs and rocker cover gasket £210

Service checklist.

1. No stop lights
2. no fog lights
3. no horn
4. no main beam
5. front and rear pads 2/3 worn
6. rear discs pitted
7. rear shocks wet
8. advise brake pipes show corrosion
9. o/s/r tyre feathered
10. n/s/r tyre cracking in tread
11. advise new timing belt due to oil contamination
12. belt at end of tensioner air con pump faulty
13. apo fuel pipe corroded
14. front no. plate insecure

Yep you aint seein things, mot'd 4 days prior to buyin with no advisories.  Currently back at the test station after threatnin them with vosa and the polis.

Will get them involved once i've got the motor back and it's roadworthy.
Kename

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year on and I've replaced the tyres only.
2008 model and heavy driving up and down the mountains without roads caused a bit of rubber loss.

Regular oil/filter changes.
ade590

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:23    Post subject: good pajeros Reply with quote

had my last one 5yrs when i sold her with 547.000klm on the clock she ran like the day she was new on the f she never let down started whatever the weather and go anywere i wanted her to apart from normal serviceing and normal wear and tear just like people say  look after them they will look after you my new one is an auto as im a disabled driver so far good
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 17:34    Post subject: newbe to the site Reply with quote

first of hello all and what a brilliant site this is !!!!!!.
im not exactly new to owning a pajero , i bought a 1988 mk1 lwb 2ltr turbo petrol off a workmate about 7 yrs ago .
it had been stood for 18mths due to a misfire he could not solve , did a compression test and found it down on no3 as it turned out it only needed valve clearance`s adjusting Very Happy , i gave it a service and replaced all 4 shockers and it few through the mot test , once on the road i found it quite underpowered and thirsty so i bought a swb mk1 with a rusty body but a cracking engine and converted it to diesel , i did a proper conversion not a mickey mouse job this involved quite a bit of modification to the wiring loom get the heater plugs to wok as they should and the rev counter to read right , but all in all it was straight forward and made a nice truck afterwards but i still thought it a bit thirsty for a diesel .
ive also owned a number of rangerovers one i fitted a 2.8 td isuzu into and another i fitted a 3.5 mazda tdi into both where cracking cars but being rangerovers needed constant attention to keep them right .
my last rangrover was a 1998 4.6 hse which i converted to multipoint lpg , i loved the car but it cost half of 2 fortunes to keep spot on , i sold it last year due to a major change in my circumstances and i lost a kings ransome on it !!!!!!.
im now looking for a nice v6 petrol shogun or pajero , ive got my eye on a couple so it wont be long before i become an owner of one hopefully , im in no real rush and there are loads on the market so i shouldn`t have much trouble finding one at the right money.

rick.
eldoctor

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 23:33    Post subject: well worth the money Reply with quote

hi i just got my pajero today and i got few issues but i got it for cheap i think if peoples are honest you gonna have to spend money on any vehicle and to be honest i rather ride in a pajero that i can custom to my own taste or change little things here and there and yes spend a bit more on tyres and diesel than ride in a scenic or sharan  at least on the week end i can have fun with the pajero and with the lwb 7 seaters you can take the all family or friends go for bbq in cool places so i think they worth it they a bit more than a car like a friend of mine saying they a vocation
positive positive
peace lol
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyshirley wrote:
It's going to be costly whatever you do.

Buying and fitting a second hand engine I would say will cost at the very least £800 possibly as much as £1250.
At a garage.      Trouble is ................ how good is the second hand engine?

From my [BAD] experience, I think I would now stick with the engine I've got, get it mended properly, or mend it properly yourselves, at least you would then know what has been done and if its been done right.

Laughing not always the case , buying a s/h engine is always a gamble but  by buying carefully and having a bit of luck it can save you a fortune .
my exceed needed a new engine ( bore wear ) i bought a replacement off eblag £60.00 with a knock , my theory was put the crank out of my engine into the "new" one , on stripping the "new" engine it turned out the knock was actually a broken rocker  Laughing this was caused by an oil soaked timing belt because the front crank seal had failed .
on stripping the "new" engine i found it to be in perfect condition so , i rebuilt it using new gaskets and seals where required and of course new timing belts .
being a diesel mechanic by trade i was able to do all the work myself now over 7000 kms later the engine is still running brilliantly  Laughing and returns over 28 mpg on a run .
the total cost including intially purchase of the "new" engine was just under £200.00 4x4 motoring doesn`t come cheaper than this .
when my 4.6 rangerover engine failed on me it cost me a total of £2100.00 and that was using a s/h engine  Crying or Very sad , theres no comparison really is there .
i once owned a mk 1 pajero for a short time , but for over 18 yrs i`ve run rangerovers , after buying my mk2 2.5 exceed i wouldn`t go back to a rangerover for all the tea in china , these 4x4s are without doubt a very well built and engineered car , they do have their faults but so do other marque`s fortunately the pajero faults i think are pretty easy to sort out .

rick.
dragn

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

if buying a 2nd hand engine for  any vehicle i'd always advise it preferable for it to be in donor vehicle when u first see it id be very wary of buying an engine thats already out of vehicle lot of work to fit it to find its u/s starting on floor definitely not recommended for any engine.

as for problems with ownership think of it this way if you buy a mk2 1992 vehicle even if showing only a low mileage
its still had 17years to be neglected so you may have a little work to do to get her back up to scratch
at 17 years old most ordinary cars have either already died or are nearly there lol

i recommend with any vehicle regular servicing i run 2000 mile oil changes don't under any circumstances use cheap *beep* oil top quality semi synth diesel/petrol only oils are far cheaper to buy than an engine never use fleet type oils supposedly suitable for petrol and diesel as these are always a compromise sub standard to type specific oil
always change oil fuel & air filters together full set of filters for a 2.5td from milners is only a tenner not worth messing about changing 1 filter only

atf change it at least every year especially if u tow same with transfer box & axle oils

unclip cv boots repack cv joints yearly replace boots any sign of hardness deterioration inner boots seem to harden first even though they are subject to less flexing than the outers

enjoy the fact that your older  vehicle is better put together & certainly looks better than most new stuff on the market
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: