QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Thinking... Challenger??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmEm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 20:05    Post subject: Thinking... Challenger?? Reply with quote

Hi!!

I own a Paj SWB 2.8, but have decided that it may be time to get something slightly BIGGER Shocked !!!
My partner and I need a "powerful" 4x4 as he uses mine to tow and launch his power boat and I need one to tow horse trailers. Now I could get a LWB Paj, but they just dont look the "biz" (no offence to LWB owners! Wink )
I really like the look of the Mitsubishi Challenger, but dont really know that much about them, what to look out for when buying, what price they are going for (ideally want one '92 or younger as I have a priv plate on a J reg!!)
What models are best? what is best cost wise, petrol/diesel? Any info would be MUST appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the L200 shell with seats not too sure on the power output though dontknow
robbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '52 sport and it seems to have loads of power. I dont use it for towing though. I have pulled a few vehicles out of the mud though with no probs.

I also run a Disco and the things I notice about the difference is that the Sport doesnt have diff-lock, Disco does and this helps off road. Also the articulation isnt as good on the sport as the Disco. It is all too easy to cross-axle the Sport but never had this so far in the Disco. The Sport is far superior though for driving on the road, even if it doesnt do as many miles to the gallon, 24 mpg for the sport and 26 for the disco.

So I guess it depends on what you want it for in the end.

The 4 wheel drive mechanism isnt quite as good as the super select of the larger shoguns..... but I have not really got the car suck anywhere so is more than adequate
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie don't swear on the site M8 Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing ....just put D*sco Wink Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
Adrian Ryles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:39    Post subject: chalenger Reply with quote

'96 is the year that they came out so you wont find one older ! they have a massive boot,imports have a 2.8 engine which to me has superior pulling power to the 2.5(dont notice the caravan is on 80% of time , seating is different to the paj as in paj you sit as you would in a kitchen chair as in challenger you sit as you would in a car - legs out streched, takes a short while to get used to but basicly the same with the advantage that if the boot aint big enough when you go B&Q leave it open you cant do that with the paj!! Laughing Laughing
adrian
Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 Pajeros - a 3.0 V6 petrol in Oz (couldn't afford to run one in UK) and a 2.8TD LWB when I came back home. Both were superb, although the petrol one was very poor off road because of the low torque.

I recently bought a '96 import Challenger 2,8TD as I fancied a change and also more load space - I got sick of having to remove the folding seats in the Paj.

The Challenger definitely seems more powerful than the Pajero, which could be down to a more modern engine, but the mpg is not as good (22 against 28) and the ride is a lot less comfortable. I still haven't decided it that's because of the suspension design, which is based on a pick-up, of the off road tyres (Lassa Competus??) which were fitted just before I bought it.

Both vehicles will certainly meet all your towing requirements and I personally think the Challenger looks better, but please feel free to choose either - as long as you don't go for a UK 2.5 model!
yorki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently bought a 2.5TD warrior and are more than happy with it. Can't compare it to a Pajero or Shogun but had 2 Discos. Tows better than the diesel disco's with plenty of torque and more stable. Economy is ok whilst towing. The book says for towing 2800Kg is max for the challenger /sport compared to 3500kg for the Shoggie.
Ride is a bit bouncy on poor roads, but is better towing than solo proberly due to the weight on the back axle.
Adrian Ryles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 21:16    Post subject: challenger Reply with quote

can agree with all but one of monkey hangers and yorkies comment all are relavent however sport only in manual cant see the point of it if you can have the auto but only on imports ,2.5 engine cant answer on the sport as they can have the power upgrade and havnt tried one ! but you dont change the belts on the 2.8 but are definately quieter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: