QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Your Favourite Caravan site

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravan & Camp site recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Your Favourite Caravan site Reply with quote

Hello,  this will be our first season with a caravan of our own, to use whenever we want to, so , as well as meets etc,  we are planning on taking long weekend breaks etc ...  so, what sites can folks recommend, and for what reasons, facilities etc ?  

I suppose this thread if enough response may morph itself into a kind of area directory type thing of people's favourite sites.

I guess folks will like sites for different reasons, according to who they are ....  etc  ..  this should become evident in the post ..  

any advice, tips etc   welcomed

mark " looking " dale
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

joecole2384

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea Mark so if any members and I know lots do have any site info,start posting it with a web address if you have it.We should be able to build up quite acomprehensive data base

Joe
gmc15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Caravan club sites, so facilities are all excellent and to a high standard, but here goes:-

Leyburn (Lower Wensleydale) interesting site set on different levels set in an old quarry, loads of ducks and rabbits on site, pub 200yds away, short walk into Leyburn.

Hawes (Brown Moor) large pitches, most hardstanding, good dog walk, 5 min walk into Hawes with lots of pubs doing bar meals, lots of local walks from site.

Clumber Park near Worksop, on the edge of forest which you can walk/cycle into the park, large site set in Robin Hood country.

Wooler (River Breamish) excellent walking in area, lots of birds on site, dog walk on site and large playing field, easy travelling distance of Northumberland coast.

Bolton Abbey (Strid Wood) set in woodland, lots of walks from site, beautiful scenery.

Castleton (Losehill) set in the peak district national park, ideal base for lots of outdoor activities, short walk into Castleton with good selection of pubs.

Peterborough (Ferry Meadows) set in country park, large site from which you can cycle into Peterborough avoiding roads, golf course with pitch and put nearby, easy walk into local park with all its facilities.

Fareham (Rookesbury Park) lovely large site set in a forest, good for long stays but very handy for local ports of Portsmouth and Southampton.

Braemar (Invercauld) set in the mountains with excellent views, ideal for mountain biking, skiing, and walking, Balmoral nearby and whisky distilleries.
gmc15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, do you want to limit this to UK sites only or do you want to open it up to include Europe?
dulux

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark
why not join the caravan & camping club they have hundreds of sites and are a friendly club youcan find them at www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

@gmc - great post ! - thanks, why not open it to europe - hopefully folks may see this thread, and gain advice to help them make their choice..

@dulux - i am a member of them, and use them as a guide ..just looking for any personel recommendations

keep em coming ..

mark "getting personal...."
joecole2384

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is Marks post but I would suggest initialy keeping it to the U.K

I'm a member of both the caravan club and the camping and caravan club.

They are selling a product,I hope that we are telling it as it realy is.

I hope this hasn't offended anyone

Joe
bluebird1927

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar theme to Marks original post.

Would it be an idea to have a site review folder in the caravan portal?

A forum where you review the site you have just stayed at during the season.

Include the cost, contact details your own experiences good and bad points ect. This could be done by region for ease of searching and other members could add thier thoughts / experiences to each site. Between us I bet we could cover a huge number of sites.

As earlier mentioned there are not many independant / unbiassed sites that give site reviews. CC and CandC each promote thier sites to gain revenue.

This would eventually become a great resource for all our POCUK caravaners.

Just a thought!

Regards

Barry
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecole2384 wrote:
A good idea Mark so if any members and I know lots do have any site info,start posting it with a web address if you have it.We should be able to build up quite acomprehensive data base

Joe
Thats what have have been trying to do on behalf of the members for events country wide Exclamation but so far have had very little response Sad See my post about Help Exclamation
gmc15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe - I will only recommend sites that I have stayed on a few times and like. I have stayed on sites run by different organisations and there are a few I would not stay on again - for different reasons.

Do you think we should give reasons why we did not like some sites or just leave it to sites that people like and the reasons why?
joecole2384

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning mate,I think we should give both the positives and negatives from our own perspective and let the members make up their own minds.For instance,i'm not anti children but I like the quieter sites where I can relax without being hit by a football or run over by a skateboard.

Joe
gmc15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Joe.

I tend to prefer sites that have lots of things to do in the local area, and a must is good clean toilet blocks. Don't mind kids too much as long as they are controlled by their parents (who sometimes can't even control themselves!).
I am not a great fan of on site bar's because they tend to be the cause of noise later at night.
I don't need on-site entertainment because we entertain ourselves.

Just got a dog last year so this slightly changes some of the sites we visit.

Yep I'm gettin old I think!

Graeme.
joecole2384

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs are a factor with us as well when choosing a site.

As individuals,we have our own preferences and it's all good info.

Joe
joecole2384

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lytton Lawn

Situated just 2.5 miles from Shorefield Country Park and set in 8 acres of beautiful leafy park land and within walking distance of the charming village of Milford on Sea.

www.shorfield.co.uk

Lytton Lawn is within walking distance of the coast, the charming village of Milford-on-Sea and the picturesque harbour of Keyhaven.

All the amenities that you would expect are provided on this self-contained park. But with no swimming pool, gym or disco you can be assured of peace and quiet. However, you are welcome to make use of the facilities at nearby Shorefield Country Park where you get free membership to the club and leisure facilities (2.5 miles away).

www.shorefield.co.uk

This is the site that I stayed on last September.It's part of the Shorfield group.Nice clean toilet block but few facilities for children.It is an ideal base for exploring the new forest.Nice level pitches.Separate dog exercise area.

On the downside for those that like them there is no onsite club/bar but the pubs are only a few minute walk away.

Joe
gmc15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed on the Caravan club site at Kinlochewe in Scotland a few years ago. Beautiful site set in the mountains. Good dod walk and a pub 200yds away which does good meals.

Downside is that the midges are a problem. We went to the pub after setting up in the afternoon and had no problem with midges. Came out of the pub and got bitten walking back to the site. We could never barbque in the evenings because of the little things. Every evening was spent inside the van because we got attacked if we went outside.

Another site that has a midge problem is the Kielder site. I have never stayed there but I know a few people who moved off the site because of midges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravan & Camp site recommendations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: