eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EO - Interior temperature sensor problem - help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schweps

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply REVOGEL,
But i don't really want to be involved with electronic card modification.
As you've already mentioned, i read at a thread that existing display shows the temperature up to 60 degree celcius.
And i also learned that the thermistor can be used up to 125 degree celcius.

Somehow the half reading might be shown on the display. I mean two new thermistors can be wired one after other or parallel or can add something like resistor. So if the displayed reading can be kept under 60 celcius, then it is easy to multiply it by two. Actually i'm not after perfect temp reading, tendency would be just fine. I can get used to the displayed temperatures while normal riding, highway riding or off roading, then the deviations i think would be noticeable.
Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK schweps see where you are comming from. Despite many years in the Comms. industry, my knowledge re thermistors/ electronics is scant to say the least Embarassed. But youv'e got the brain buzzing now [Thats rare at my age Shocked ] Got to see if I cant figure sommat out. Know about resistors/Capacitors in parrellel/series. Not thermistors though.
schweps

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few months ago i replaced the broken inner thermistor. Actually not with the correct one but with similar screw type NTC that shows temperature very close to real temperature values (at least i was thinking so). I don't know the code number, a friend of mine supplied it. Recently i asked one more thermistor. This evening, after recieving it, i took out the cover on the steering column. Before disconnecting the existing thermistor it was showing around 16 degree celcius. Then i connected them serial and read around 2 degree celcius. Finally i connected them parallel and read 36 degree celcius.
When i got home i measured the resistance of both thermistors at certain temperatures. Here are the results.

Temp             /  ohm Existing one (new one)

@15,5degreeC / 1455ohm (1289ohm)
@23,5degreeC / 855ohm (741ohm)
@37degreeC / 591ohm (492ohm)

Conclusions;
Neither one is the correct thermistor.
With serial connection of the thermistors, the reading is less then that i expect.
To find an analog temperature gauge would be the best choice i guess.
cheers.
GSRSOL

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to source a new external temp sensor/sender for a Gen1 model? Mine has an ARB bullbar on it when I got it, so I think the sensor may have been cut off or removed for this? I have the same - E on my gauge under external temp though.
any help much appreciated.
cheers
GSRSOL

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSRSOL wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to source a new external temp sensor/sender for a Gen1 model? Mine has an ARB bullbar on it when I got it, so I think the sensor may have been cut off or removed for this? I have the same - E on my gauge under external temp though.
any help much appreciated.
cheers

anyone?
MeatyPete

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 20:52    Post subject: No reading at all Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Have read through all the posts on this, my problem is that I have no reading on the display at all, it did appear once last week for about an hour,  but that is all, the compass, and angle meter are working normally...

Any thoughts on where to start first...?

Regards

Pete
MeatyPete

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 21:45    Post subject: No reading at all Reply with quote

Hi gents,

Anyone care to shed any light on my last post...? been nearly 10 months and no one has posted anything on it....?

Could do with your wealth of knowledge here

Regards

Pete
fullmonte

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 18:20    Post subject: Re: Internal temperature sensor problem - help! Reply with quote

bomber wrote:
Not a big deal I know but the "Indoor outdoor" gauge is showing for indoor -26 c which I believe means a fault?  I have read that a thermistor might need replacing and soldering could any one please point me to the location of the sensor in my a 3 door Pajero and how easy is it to fix, I can get the thermistor from Maplins or RSS so that is not a problem and I can stretch to doing a bit of soldering (I think), any help would be appreciated trouble with me I am a Virgo and everything has to at least work in some fashion!  Very Happy  

Peter

I have the same -26 degree indoor temperature showing on the gauge of a 94 3 door 2.8 Paj. The metal plate mentioned in these posts was also missing but I couldn't see the thermistor. Resorted to removing the lower steering column cover (which was a bit awkward - see later note about brittle plastics) and found it. Tried unplugging and re-plugging in the connector but still no change. Just ordered a 5 pack of replacement thermistors for £3.35 using the RS link supplied in earlier responses. It'll take a while before I can get the bits from the UK to Montenegro but the chances are I'll have some spares if anyone needs them.

That said, I got to wondering what makes these components fail (cue instrument mechanics). This Paj has been unused and parked in the Montenegro sun for almost 3 years so I bet it got pretty hot inside at times, do they have an upper temperature limit/tolerance?  High inside temps might also explain why I have to be reeeeeally careful when removing any internal plastic components or switches - they're all very brittle.  

Big thanks to everyone who responded here. I'm not a Virgo but the -26 bugs the hell out of me too Smile

I'll post a follow up when I get the new thermistor soldered in place and let you know if I have any spares. One last thought - I'm assuming it doesn't matter which way round I solder the new thermistor wires to the existing wires?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: