eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Is My EGR Sticking ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:41    Post subject: Is My EGR Sticking ? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

A couple of weeks ago i removed my EGR valve and gave it a good soak in parafin and removed all the build up of soot, then replaced, all went well.
Last weekend i took the family to the JAE Event with the caravan on the back and noticed up hill or when the car starts to labour at 60mph i would get excessive black smoke, to combat this i was told that when she starts to smoke just blip the throttle and it will stop, Yes i done that and it did work...... So what is causing this ? is the valve sticking ? shall i blank it ?
What you reckon ?

Any Thoughts Please.

Regards Gaz.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

vmaxsnoopy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under load, uphill, towing, black smoke, pretty much par for the course im afraid. Most diesels, Paj's included will do this. Just follow any wagon up a steep incline to experience it. Backing off the throttle or dropping a gear will improve things. Blanking the EGR is unlikely to make much difference mate.
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8, i get the exactly the same when towing the van. Very laboured and continuous black smoke. I think it's just that the Paj won't accelerate any more, and when you put your foot down to try and make it go, it just causes overfuelling, which doesn't burn off.
There's no problem when not towing the van, so i just live with it, and i'm 99.9% certain that my egr is working ok.

Somebody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how i understand it.
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Vmax, That will save me a tenner then 8) I didnt really want to blank it anyway. I am an HGV1 Driver so i can relate to what you are saying although wagons are not as bad as they once was, in the mid 80s i think they were having competitions to see who could blow the most black smoke Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks again

Gaz.
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you feel embarassed when it does it though Phil ? I feel as though i cant enjoy the journey, Cant relax as im constantly watching for the smoke and trying to prevent it, easing of the throttle etc.

Gaz.
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, embarassed, never Laughing

Well actually, it does play on my mind a bit though, and i actually thought about it whilst driving home from the Safari Park on Sunday night. I wasn't towing the van, but what made me think about it was, we were following a 04 plate vectra diesel, and that was throwing out black smoke nearly all the time, and that wasn't even towing Rolling Eyes
And i'll bet the vectra driver couldn't have given 2 hoots.

I don't think there really is a lot we can do about the problem, apart from maybe fill up with veg oil, but for that i'd need to have a camera on the back of the van, and a monitor in the Paj, so that i could watch the driver behind get that "booger me, i suddenly feel hungry" look on his face Laughing Laughing
johnkyte

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EGR is working as it should --the black smoke is caused when egr opens,allowing exhaust gas back into combustion chambers ,thus depriving engine of oxygen,then fuel cant burn properly so reducing power from engine,preventing it from overworking
Lifting the throttle allows egr to close and engine to burn properly --thus no smoke
This is all about stopping you from overloading engine ,so the Paj with blanked egr is being overloaded ,which in turn will damage the engine,and shorten its working life
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have asked when i was sat next to you in that bit of drizzle at the jae mate Wink i'ld have stayed a little longer Laughing
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

more x 4 wrote:
you should have asked when i was sat next to you in that bit of drizzle at the jae mate Wink i'ld have stayed a little longer Laughing

Oh no sorry mate, was that you in the passenger side of Funmeisters car if it was i didnt realise, mind you, you wouldnt of got much sense from me, little to much Lager consumed, that drizzle was so funny though, i was in bits watching everyone running around catching stuff Laughing

Gaz.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mate that was me Wink
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnkyte wrote:
The EGR is working as it should --the black smoke is caused when egr opens,allowing exhaust gas back into combustion chambers ,thus depriving engine of oxygen,then fuel cant burn properly so reducing power from engine,preventing it from overworking
Lifting the throttle allows egr to close and engine to burn properly --thus no smoke
This is all about stopping you from overloading engine ,so the Paj with blanked egr is being overloaded ,which in turn will damage the engine,and shorten its working life

whilst what you say does make sense in a weird sort of way the egr was in fact fitted to reduce emissions not control engine power (which it will if its full of smoke of course) a diesel will work till its governed and then no more it also doesnt explain the fact that a lot of the uk shoguns dont have the egr fitted at all...and to be honest seem to run cleaner and without as much hassle from the heads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: