2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR Valve - blank it, clean it or use a ball bearing?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmiles

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:55    Post subject: EGR Valve - blank it, clean it or use a ball bearing? Reply with quote

Hi
Cleaned the EGR valve for the first time over the weekend, what a mess!
It was so caked in gummy soot, it took half an hour of soaking in petrol and carb cleaner to make any inroads. It was effectively blanked off anyway!!

Anyway, question is:
Why blank it off with a blanking plate? Why not simply remove the vacuum tube and block this off instead?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, invariably, when there are problems with the EGR valve being 'coked up' it is, in fact, unable to close properly - ie stuck open! Blocking the vacuum tube will have NO effect whatsoever.

There's loads on this already - have a go with the Search function (link in the list at the top of the page Wink) -

Search for EGR - limit the search by clicking on :

O Search topic title only

Get a coffee and read all day Wink

Whatever you choose to do, you should get your fuel pump (re)callibrated!

HTH?

Simon
Rob Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody help me i have cleaned the egr valve blanked it off and put the bearing in but i still get black smoke on start up  Sad Sad
Tonka
Events rep (North East)
Events rep (North East)

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the smoke stop after a short while ?

Is the car well serviced ? If not give it a good oil and filter change. Make sure the air filter is clean, if in doubt change it for a new one.

Why have you cleaned the egr, blanked it off AND added a bearing ?

Like Simon says, run a search and have a read.

You will find though, all diesels smoke a little when started from cold Wink
Rob Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned the egr valve because i had doubts about the blank plate and was not sure if i was going to use it i never had any smoke problems with any of my other pajeros or shoguns i have the pajero serviced every five months when i get home from the Yemen
Mental Mike
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo
Location: Deepest Buckinghamshire. 1993 2.5L SWB Diesel Auto.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy Brilliant post by Trig!!! Cleaned my EGR valve and it looked just like his Exclamation  All the Info from various Contributors made the task far less daunting  hello1   Very Happy  Very Happy

THIS ONE! <<--- Click on Link Wink
chrishigh80

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 14:36    Post subject: EGR Reply with quote

mine has had a plate put over the egr valve some time ago. i did notice that inside the egr that there was a lot of carbon black stuff .. is there any point in cleaning it up seeing as its blanked off anyway ??

chris
squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean it and unblank it is the best thing to do...
chrishigh80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:11    Post subject: EGR Reply with quote

HI
why is it that on many other posts that they are suggesting blanking it off.  if i do unblank it would my fuel consumption be any better ?? at the moment i am gettin on average about 20 miles to the gallon....
 regards
chris
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is masses of info in this section of the forums explaining the pros & cons and the steps neccessary to make either of the chosen methods work properly ...

The nice thing is, you don't even need to use the Search facility ... the EGR Valve has its own dedicated section here in the forums!

The only absolute certainty is that blocking the pipe with a BB is a waste of time (and money!)

Whether you clean (refurbish) it or blank it, afterwards, get your fuel pump (re)callibrated !

Simon
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:28    Post subject: EGE Blanking Plate fitted Reply with quote

Hiya Guys, well I have just fitted an EGR blanking plate to my Paj,Took me about 15\20 Mins, the reason I chose this as apposed to cleaning is I have been waiting for some decent weather Rolling Eyes , as I can't get the Paj in the garage, so I brought a blanking plate from the club shop just in case, one of the reasons I did  this was because I do have a problem with late gear changing and have read some of the posts on here and some of you have had success with curing the gear change as well, but not me still changing late, however I did notice that it seemed to have increased the performance  Very Happy  or is that I was hoping it would ? anyway it has reduced the amount of black smoke when I pull away, so thats a plus, anyway process of elimination now regarding the late gear change, I am going to check the throttle cable first and see if there is anything wrong with that, I don't know much about cars Embarassed  really but I brought the manual from the club shop and it's been very helpful so far.

Cheers
Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy
Steve_bluemoon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoCUK wrote:
There is masses of info in this section of the forums explaining the pros & cons and the steps neccessary to make either of the chosen methods work properly ...

The nice thing is, you don't even need to use the Search facility ... the EGR Valve has its own dedicated section here in the forums!

The only absolute certainty is that blocking the pipe with a BB is a waste of time (and money!)

Whether you clean (refurbish) it or blank it, afterwards, get your fuel pump (re)callibrated !

Simon

Hi Simon,

I did my EGR today, very pleased with myself, but just wondered if you could elaborate on pump callibration - is this the same as pump timing??
Sailor
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:37    Post subject: EGR VALVE BLOCKING PLATE - YES OR NO Reply with quote

I see many posts referring to the EGR Valve and the plate to block off the EGR Valve. Not being too mechanically minded, what is the purpose of blocking off the EGR Valve. Does it increase performance, economy. Would like to know is it worth doing.

Regards, Chris

grimo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on you. A lot would say that the Paj will run fine without the EGR Valve, some say blocking off the valve leads to head failure although not proven. Myself, the way i look at it is, if its on there then its there for a reason. When i had problems i read through the threads and took the decision to keep the valve as it has to be the safest bet.
The decision is yours.
Regards,
Grimo.
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder about the smoke thing.
How many folks out there think they have a smoky truck when actually everything is working as well as it can on what is, after all,an older diesel car?
I've seen loadsa modern cars kicking out smoke when pulling away from lights.
This is on a warm car, coupla years old.
It's possible we think a bit too much about how much smoke we are emitting.
That said,i have seen some pretty bad starters.

I think I remember Ivor saying that if you blank the egr valve off, get the pump re-calibrated. Think Simon agreed.
Let's face it, Simon's read more posts than anyone, Ivor's sorted more problems than anyone.
Think I'd follow their advice.

If possible, clean the valve and service the car, calibrate the pump.

I've only blanked a couple of valves.
Cut the smoke down, saw no change in performance(measured by GREDDY-HKS Seat-of-thePants-Patented method Smile )
After I saw no performance difference, started cleaning valve instead (and taking out ball bearings that previous owners had installed). Achieved much the same results. Cut smoke, no performance advantage.

I know there are some who blank, some who don't.
The subject is almost as well covered on here as the glo plugs.
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: