Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR Valve - blank it, clean it or use a ball bearing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren F
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have blanked off me Exhaust GAS Recirculation valve as all it does is heat up the cyl head
750 deg gas being put through the inlet manifold into th cyl head and onto the back of the inlet valves which then have to dissapate the extra heat through the valve seats which then puts the extra heat back into the head
I SAY BURN IT ONCE AND THROW IT STRAIGHT THROUGH THE TURBO AND OUT THE EXHAUST  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mad mechanic

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves can be the cause of many driveability problems. They can stick open, not close completely or operate in a haphazard manner, most problems are caused by carbon deposits on the inlet of the valve altering the flow of exhaust gas, which in turn cause the faults above..

What the EGR valve does is channel a small measured amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures. Which lowers Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions and can in a lot of cases, improve fuel consumption and power.

The main causes for concern are not the valves themselves but the mechanisms operating them, ie vacuum springs etc. If these are not properly adjusted (inc fuel pump) then this is when people start to block them off etc. They were origianlly designed for emmisions control in usa in the 70s but have since been used extesively by most major car manufacturers.
They are there for a reason guys best thing in my honest professional opinion is to keep them and make sure they are maintained as they should be.

just my twopenneth..lol
andy
chipmunk

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here.. checked threads first.. BUT unsure about.. ball bearing.

Cleaned my EGR as per previouse threads, but still haveing major problems with exhaust smoke, put this down to pump seal, trouble starting in morning as if no diesel and cut out.. my main question is.. i noticed that there is a ball bearing in the pipe, once all the egr and stuff is cleaned, is this ball bearing needed (not sure on this piece)..  scratch
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipmunk wrote:
... my main question is.. i noticed that there is a ball bearing in the pipe, once all the egr and stuff is cleaned, is this ball bearing needed (not sure on this piece)..  scratch

No - get rid of it - the ball bearing is useless - it simply stops a correctly functioning EGR valve from working Wink

Simon thumbright
chipmunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks simon, at mo i blanked off the egr till get other problems fixed (was advised to block of) was told this would cure my problem but hasnt, but will but it all right and working as should be..  Wink
bkw570

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 20:38    Post subject: well well Reply with quote

heres one  for  ya
a few weeks ago i took my egr  off and  gave it  a dam  good clean
was realy  realy proude
then i noticed  that  my paj had a delay when pulling  away and a mass of black smoke
so i checked  out  the web site  for further advice
and looked  at  the  2 thingy watsets  underneith  the intercooler  where  the  2  small  pipes  go
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh   you  know  what  i mean
anyway   found  the one  comming  from the egr wasent  working  so i changed it
still got  the same  problem  
still a delay  when pulling  away and a mass of  black smoke at the same time
so i blanked off the breather tube  that goes  to the egr
and success no black smoke  and  no delay  when  pulling  away
i know  what  ur  all saying   yea  yea  his egr  is  stuck in some  way  but  
i can prommise  you  the  egr  is  working  fine
so  only one question remains
WHATS  GANNEN  ON ?

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 14:21    Post subject: Re: EGR Reply with quote

chrishigh80 wrote:
HI
why is it that on many other posts that they are suggesting blanking it off.  if i do unblank it would my fuel consumption be any better ?? at the moment i am gettin on average about 20 miles to the gallon....
 regards
chris

i blanked my egr valve to see if it made any difference but after blanking it i started to get black smoke under accelleration so i am going to clean it and put it back as i wasn't getting any problems before and i dont want to adjust the pump

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 18:11    Post subject: Re: EGR Reply with quote

0083 wrote:
chrishigh80 wrote:
HI
why is it that on many other posts that they are suggesting blanking it off.  if i do unblank it would my fuel consumption be any better ?? at the moment i am gettin on average about 20 miles to the gallon....
 regards
chris

i blanked my egr valve to see if it made any difference but after blanking it i started to get black smoke under accelleration so i am going to clean it and put it back as i wasn't getting any problems before and i dont want to adjust the pump

i have refitted it and the smoke has gone if its not broke dont fix it!
andyspitfire
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 18:35    Post subject: EGR VALVE PROBLEM SOLVED Reply with quote

Hi, ive been reading all sorts of posts on this subject,
and decided to blank mine off completley.
Its worked a treat,no more smoke belching out when you clog the divers boot
down on the loud pedal,and it has started to pull better,and i have had some issues
with performance with mine,although i know there not fast by any standard,
as there old school diesels,but mine has improved dramaticly since i binned the dreaded
egr valve,so as far as im concerned,jobs a gooden,sorted lol  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
kernow jon

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad mechanic wrote:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves can be the cause of many driveability problems. They can stick open, not close completely or operate in a haphazard manner, most problems are caused by carbon deposits on the inlet of the valve altering the flow of exhaust gas, which in turn cause the faults above..

What the EGR valve does is channel a small measured amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures. Which lowers Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions and can in a lot of cases, improve fuel consumption and power. Thanks for your replies.

andy

Andy's second paragraph does not make sense to me.  How can feeding hot exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold, lower the heat in the combustion chamber?

I know Nitrogen in its pure form is cold, very cold in fact.  But the EGR device does not isolate the Nitrogen gas from the other exhaust gases - the EGR is channeling into the inlet manifold a mixture of gases contained in the exhaust of the engine.

According to Ford's site the EGR works at idle and "cruise" and is turned off when power is demanded  I wont bore you by pasting in what they say so here is the link

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm

Maybe reburning exhaust gas is good for the environment, but then if I was really concerned about the environment maybe I would drive an electric car not a Pajero!

Jon
neil-tce
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernow jon wrote:
mad mechanic wrote:

What the EGR valve does is channel a small measured amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures. Which lowers Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emissions and can in a lot of cases, improve fuel consumption and power. Thanks for your replies.

andy

Andy's second paragraph does not make sense to me.  How can feeding hot exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold, lower the heat in the combustion chamber?

I know Nitrogen in its pure form is cold, very cold in fact.  But the EGR device does not isolate the Nitrogen gas from the other exhaust gases - the EGR is channeling into the inlet manifold a mixture of gases contained in the exhaust of the engine.

According to Ford's site the EGR works at idle and "cruise" and is turned off when power is demanded  I wont bore you by pasting in what they say so here is the link

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm

Maybe reburning exhaust gas is good for the environment, but then if I was really concerned about the environment maybe I would drive an electric car not a Pajero!

Jon

Well said, could not aggree more..

Also think , if you put a bag over your head what would happen?? youd suffocate, because you cannot live on recycled gasses, so why put exaust fumes back into the engine,
also  intercoolers are fitted to cool the air after the turbo has heated it, by compressing it, so why would you want to put hotter air into the engine than the turbo could blow in..

It is rediculas, the guy who dreamed this up needs shooting
markopollo

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!!!!  Evil or Very Mad

i am so confused with all this EGR blanking/ not blanking Shocked  , I am a newbe to the Paj way but i have spoke to a few MECHANICS and thay say:

" MITSUBISHI WOULDNT FIT IT TO ALL THEIR CARS IF THAY DIDNT NEED ONE"

I can see were thay are cumming from but i cant help being swayed by all the poast for blanking it dontknow  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?

Think im going to clean it and see if that makes any diff in performance and fule consumption. If not then its blanking time (maby not, so confused)

hmmm

Marko
KnT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

markopollo wrote:

i am so confused with all this EGR blanking/ not blanking Shocked  , I am a newbe to the Paj way but i have spoke to a few MECHANICS and thay say:

I can see were thay are cumming from but i cant help being swayed by all the poast for blanking it dontknow  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?

Think im going to clean it and see if that makes any diff in performance and fule consumption. If not then its blanking time (maby not, so confused)

hmmm

Marko

Blank it, you wont regret it  Smile
neil-tce
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly everyone blanks the egr...

they even sell the blanking plates in the pocuk shop...
markopollo

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevntrace wrote:
markopollo wrote:

hmmm

Marko

Blank it, you wont regret it  Smile

Wat about fule pump calabration? dont you have to do it if you use a egr blanker???

Marko
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: