Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Electric Fan Conversion / Assistance ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem mate.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

*pete*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyshirley,

I'm intending to tow a caravan with my Paj - I'm concerned about overheating and head gasket problems - any chance I could get a PM with the details as well.

In the short term I'm going to flush the rad and refill with coolant and would like to wire in an override switch until I get all the other bits together.

I was looking at my motor yesterday and was thinking that I may in fact make up some extension pieces to move the grill forward to the back of the bull bar.  That would perhaps give me room to put a fan in front the existing setup, perhaps a bit easier all round ??

Peter
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21    Post subject: electric fan covertion/assistance Reply with quote

pete,

do a viscous test,bring to norm temp at idle in park bonnet up you should feel light breez over engine.bring revs up to 3000 or just above(max boost when driving)and you should feel gale over engine(thats what jeff@kenlowe told me to do), i also cleand and unblanked egr unit on inlet manifold i recon this helps with cooling,if you want to convert kenlowe single fan kit app £170 (17inc) and 13inc twin kit app £270, pacet 16 inc kit app £140. these kits fit on rad betweet rad n engine and are "puller fans" but you have to remove viscous fan completly,hope this helps.
Bob Shaw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 15:17    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

Is a thermostat with a lower setting available for your Pajero?  I use a 180 degrees F.
Do you have AC?  If so you can add a switch to the existing fan in front of the condensor and turn that fan on too.
I don't recommend replacing the viscous fan with electric fans.  The electric fans take too much amperage and don't do a good job under heavy load like towing.  Been there and done that.
If you have an older model, I recommend you have the radiator "rodded".
grimo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small square rad to the right is that engine or transmission cooler. Would it be possible to move it and place another fan in its place. Has anyone ever done this, or would it be to difficult.
Grimo
Bob Shaw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 21:48    Post subject: tranny cooler Reply with quote

I replaced the bolts at the bottom of the AC fan mounting bracket with longer bolts,  shoved the tranny cooler between the fan and the condenser, and retightened the bolts.  Now the AC fan cools the tranny cooler too.  Propbably would be easier to just get a tranny cooler with fan and mount it beside the AC fan.
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my fan set up at the moment, 12" fan in place of the original air con fan because the original was caput, this is off a jaguar, I had to turn the impeller over to make it a push type. Also see the pic where I've moved the oil cooler forward to make room for a 10" fan on the left hand side. [ to be fitted when i find the time]http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5415083
      Remember, I haven't removed the viscous fan, the electric fan is set to come on at about 93 degrees just in case the 15 year old viscous fan is struggling to cope. The thermostat opening temperature for the 3.0l 12 valve petrol engine is 88 deg.  You need the engine temp. to get up to normal operating temp. as quick as possible and then to be stabilized at just above the thermostat opening temperature.
pajeronut

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

i junked my viscous fan and fitted to 12" puller fans that i got from a place that makes aircon fridges for vans and trucks. i bought a thermometric switch from www.x-eng.co.uk fits top hose just nicely. come with a 2 temp switch so i have one fan on low temp and when it gets that bit warmer the second kicks in.  

electric fans are easy to find. i'd highly recommend the twin fans out of a peugeot 205 or 405 diesel. very robust and cheap as chips in a scrappy!

brian
*pete*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find a 205 locally so will be down there tomorrow with an arm full of spanners.

Last two posts were very helpful - thanks guys.  

Peter Smile  Smile  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: