Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

check your car before the MOT - I hope this helps?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46    Post subject: Re: re breke pips :-) Reply with quote

mot.tester.ken wrote:
re brake pipes - if you grease them up the M.O.T test is not allowed to remove the grease to check them
he/she can only pass and advise ....

I don't want to turn this into a debate but ... wouldn't you rather know if there was a problem (eg corrosion) with the brake pipes?

Simon dontknow
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

dpruk

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a strict mot as far as structural brake suspension ect are concerned, but some testers let anything through. Have a look at these pics of the boot space in a dico a tester passes 5 weeks ago, talk about dangerous
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0363.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0362.jpg
dpruk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more of the same car http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0365.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0374.jpg http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0380.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/dpruk/DSCF0384.jpg
chris uk

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ken great post mines in next week  Cool
mungodog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Can anyone tell me...? Reply with quote

The name of the website where you can look up all previous MOT's on your vehicle please?

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile
mot.tester.ken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:01    Post subject: brake pipes Reply with quote

no i dont do debates i was asked if i can give info on mots so youn can cheak your own
so i did ... i no the limits for ware and tear of 26 years of doing mots
brake pipe is a pet hate i have tested cars that have failed in the past that would last 10 more years
yes i have seen the pics ... and trust me i have seen worse with mots
is on the tester and ware load bareing items are
re easy mots there is no sutch thing all cars should be tested to the same standed .. but there not

ie a new ball joint is 100% good

yet the fail for that item is 74% warn

thats 26% of its life ok work that out

thing is there so meny gray parts to a test .... hence it down to the tester and the standards set out in the

mot testers gauge

i just offered help if enyone need more info
Laughing
stoney

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Didnt know you could......they only been computerised 2 years.....but i will take a look if ya can
playdoh
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/
Turvey
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp

Wink
bart2.8
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 20:13    Post subject: tnanks Reply with quote

tnanks top man
micnic

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very usefull post ken, don't mean to be picky but there are a few errors in that I've not long since been on a refresher so I'm fairly up to date.

1st one that jumped out was probably a typo - the rear fog light is only required on the O/S not the N/S.

The timing belt issue - unfortunatley for us Ken it is our fault if we blow up an engine diesel testing it - garage is reponsible. If in doubt you should abandon the test.

You do need both No. plate lights working if there are two fitted also the plate regulations are under review at the moment  and they are ridiculous imo.

High level brake lights are a testable item but you cant fail because of them, it should be an advisory item and the tester is to assume that the lamp has been disconnected.

You can't fail a car for split wiper blades, only if the blade is insecure  or not clearing the screen effectively.

A car should fail if one of the handbrakes isn't working even if the efficiency of the other is over 16%

The other one I don't entirely agree on is brake pipes you are right that grease/sealant cannot be removed to check and also that a number of vehicles are failed incorrectly. But I don't think it is a good idea advising people to seal them up to prevent them being checked properly. A paj (or any other vehicle for that matter) is quite difficult to stop and dangerous if one of the brake circuits fails . I do advise in the main about corroded brake pipes but I have had a few that I had deemed O.K. fail during the R.B.T. worrying.

The other thing I entirely agree with you about is the grey areas! You can never get a definate answer from vosa they just leave it to the testers discretion, unfortunatley some testers are more experienced than others hence the varying test standards.

What classes do you test Ken? I have just done the class 1 and 2 NT course for bikes if you think class 4 and 7 are bad for grey areas just have a look at the bikes! absolute nightmare.

As I said not trying to be picky but I just thought it would benefit people to set the record straight er on this.

Mike
mot.tester.ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 19:41    Post subject: test Reply with quote

class 4 only that enoght trust me i been testing for 23 years and no gold watch
Laughing
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant inside info ... I spend alot of time at the test station, and alot of money  Twisted Evil Might save me a few quid, definately will be checking back on this  Wink

Well done Guys ... definately worth a Sticky  Wink
max murder

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

micnic wrote:
Very usefull post ken, don't mean to be picky but there are a few errors in that I've not long since been on a refresher so I'm fairly up to date.

1st one that jumped out was probably a typo - the rear fog light is only required on the O/S not the N/S.

The timing belt issue - unfortunatley for us Ken it is our fault if we blow up an engine diesel testing it - garage is reponsible. If in doubt you should abandon the test.

You do need both No. plate lights working if there are two fitted also the plate regulations are under review at the moment  and they are ridiculous imo.

High level brake lights are a testable item but you cant fail because of them, it should be an advisory item and the tester is to assume that the lamp has been disconnected.

You can't fail a car for split wiper blades, only if the blade is insecure  or not clearing the screen effectively.

A car should fail if one of the handbrakes isn't working even if the efficiency of the other is over 16%

The other one I don't entirely agree on is brake pipes you are right that grease/sealant cannot be removed to check and also that a number of vehicles are failed incorrectly. But I don't think it is a good idea advising people to seal them up to prevent them being checked properly. A paj (or any other vehicle for that matter) is quite difficult to stop and dangerous if one of the brake circuits fails . I do advise in the main about corroded brake pipes but I have had a few that I had deemed O.K. fail during the R.B.T. worrying.

The other thing I entirely agree with you about is the grey areas! You can never get a definate answer from vosa they just leave it to the testers discretion, unfortunatley some testers are more experienced than others hence the varying test standards.

What classes do you test Ken? I have just done the class 1 and 2 NT course for bikes if you think class 4 and 7 are bad for grey areas just have a look at the bikes! absolute nightmare.

As I said not trying to be picky but I just thought it would benefit people to set the record straight er on this.

Mike

Well done..   your spot on mate, and the average time for an mot is 52 minutes, i checked today, i also agree with you on the brake pipes, do you wire brush any pipes which are slightly rusted  ?. ive had a few over the years that look rusted but not to bad, only to have them start leaking after a good wire brushing.
astrex101

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the know how great post all the best.. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: