eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fuel Questionnaire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> POCUK lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Much will be too much? ... per/litre
I have already stopped driving to work / walk / cycle
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
£1.50
18%
 18%  [ 14 ]
£2.00
14%
 14%  [ 11 ]
£2.50
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Upto £5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Public Transport
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's not an option ... I need to drive
58%
 58%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 75

Bob Ellison
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the ex-smokers.  Evil or Very Mad

There's a lot of speculative buying that is pushing the price up. There's not much oil moving about but there are reams of paper.  Rolling Eyes
There's a report in today's papers that tankers are moored in the Arabian Gulf just waiting for the  price to peak.
Some economists claim there's a speculation 'bubble' that will eventually burst. But when?

It's not really the producers or the government (although they are benefitting) it's the money market speculators that are pushing the price up.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 15:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Sailor
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Must have pressed the wrong button, I did write this before when I voted in the Poll".

It was interesting to see that no one had opted for Public Transport. I wonder why,  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink

Regards, Chris
speedscot

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband commutes to work on a DTR 125 so he gets a pretty good mileage for his litre and is relatively unaffected.  I've got the kids and all their gubbins to cart around constantly and we live 3 miles from the nearest public transport route (a few buses a day, travelling either to or from Edinburgh city centre).

I used to get my main grocery shop at the supermarkets in Galashiels (28 mile round trip) and "top up" consumables like milk, bread etc in the local town.  Now I by everything locally, despite it being more expensive at the till, and only go to the supermarket if I have to be in town for something else anyway. This is saving me a fortune.

Where we are living there is no way I could manage without a car but quite besides that I've spent my entire lifetime loving, adoring, worshipping motor vehicles and I won't let anyone take that away from me (yet!).
nemesis
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wait till it gets to the stage where it is so expensive, people will go around and start stealing it from other people's cars Crying or Very sad
bhrkp1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive 16 miles a day to work and back, so that's a gallon each day.

BUT I wanted the V6 so I have to pay for it. And one of the first things I read on this site was"you don't buy a 4x4 and worry about fuel consumption".

Now I don't like the cost, far from it, can I afford it, well no but I tried living with out a Paj and well didn't like it.  

In the end until the government work out that people are loosing their homes, going bankrupt, not working because its costing more to work that stay at home we are all in the same boat.
Baddoo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a car I can come and go when I please, you cant do that on a bus
I never miss my car but its easy to miss a bus.
My car is never late... can't say the same for a bus.
I can smoke in my car and its never that crowded I have to stand and hang on like grim death... I can't smoke on a bus and its hit and miss if you get a seat or not
It takes 15 minutes to get to work in a car and covers 7 miles. It would take at least 3 times that long on a bus and be over twice as far.
I can listen to my music in the car and don't have screaming, swearing or smelly people to bother me... in a bus you hear veryone elses mp3 players and who knows what sort of people you'll encounter
I never have to wait in the cold, rain or snow for my car... I would spend more time waiting for a bus than travelling in it.

So tell me again why I should use public transport???????

When it gets that a small run around and associated costs is cheaper than using the Paj daily I will spend a couple of hundred quid on an old nail and use that for daily travel keeping the Paj for holidays and days out etc and when the runaround needs work for the mot or breaksdown needing expensive repairs scrap it and simply get another.

Of course I will also keep the tax exempt and classic insurance Land Rover too and use that when its finished, that £180 tax i dont have to pay would keep it in fuel for a month at least prolonging the life of the Paj that little bit more.
Onan The Barbarian
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Brian! thumbleft
SuperBuyer

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 110mile round trip to the office every day, and leave the house over 2 hours before the first bus (I'm out at 5.20am, the first bus doesn't leave till getting on for 8am)

So its car every time for me for work, and truck for the family at weekends. I've worked out that just using the truck at weekends and for family trips, I've done over 6K already, and its only been back on the road since mid January (yep, this year). The poor golf has done 24K since last August when I bought it. Thankfully it returns 50 to 55mpg fairly easily!

My fuel bill is currently running at about £450pcm. I remember when the mortgage used to cost less than that....

Still, life goes on. I am working on a paper at the minute for the bosses about the benefits of home working. Now that would be nice - sit in one of the village pubs with a 'three' mobile broadband connection and a mobile. Hmmm....
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying my ladders on a bus, along with boxes, dishes, aerials, drills, cable etc etc....... could you imagine it? Laughing  Laughing

So public transport for work just isn't an option.

As far as private traveling, well we have 4 kids besides wifey and myself...... and of course the dog..... so it is either walk or drive the Paj. I do enjoy walking down to the park with Jack, sometimes with his buggy, other times with him walking/sitting on my shoulders. More often than not, we all jump into the Paj and go to the beach where the dog can still go (there aren't many of them left around here)..... public transport to the local Tesco's or ASDA just doesn't happen here. The once upon a time bus service for the relevant stores have disappeared...... and we live quite a way from the nearest decent store, so shopping also involves the Paj.

The cost of fuel was really starting to hit me as far as work was concerned. I used to contract to Sky, but their payments have not increased in ages (well we haven't seen any increase), now it is more profitable to do my own aerial and satellite work, than it is to take the work that they offer. The jobs are coming in bit by bit, but where as I used to be out 5 days a week doing 8 jobs a day for Sky and then doing my own work during the rest days, I am now at home 3 days a week and going out to do a couple of jobs a day locally...... pound for pound I am slightly down on income..... but the van is taking less wear and tear as I am dong less mileage. It took this price hike for me to actually sit down and work it all out. Rolling Eyes

Something has to happen soon, problems are hitting everyone, whether within working age or retired. Prices of food, clothes and many other necessities are going up daily to account for the increased cost of transporting them....... I already know a couple of people who have left their jobs due to the fact that it isn't worth working anymore (they are both women on part time jobs)........ the cost of fuel outweighs the meager wage that they were getting.
speedscot

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesapasty wrote:
I already know a couple of people who have left their jobs due to the fact that it isn't worth working anymore (they are both women on part time jobs)........ the cost of fuel outweighs the meager wage that they were getting.

That was definitely one of the factors in my deciding not to go back to my job after my second baby came along.  Between childcare for two and travelling costs I would be paying out more than I was earning.

And the car park at my work costs....... NOTHING!   (NHS!)

(However there are management meetings ongoing to start fleecing everyone at our hospital too soon Sad )
oggie1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

See where the majority have voted Shocked The moneymakers know this and(forgive the pun)have us over a barrel Laughing
My 7 seater is a necessity,I could not live without it.

Chris Wink
RichP

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Si_ wrote:
If it hits £2 I'll definitely have to find the cash for an LPG conversion.

Some interesting calculators on this website here (links to the left, but don't click 'home' as that doesn't work!):

Thanks for the plug - and the heads-up to the broken Home page.  Very Happy
That'll teach me to upload a bunch of changes in the small hours last night...!

I'm glad you like the site. Hopefully it'll get even better in the next few days - I'm testing a few new features (hopefully they'll be better tested than last night's changes!) and intend to get them online before the end of the Bank Holiday weekend.

Cheers,

Richard
Dave 1962
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the mo i have my Paj laid up doing nothing, its looking increasingly more and more that she is going to put up for sale. for how much I dont know as the ar5e has fallen out of the price for these types of vehicles. I never imagined myself going down this route as i dont drink or smoke. its not a question of whether i can afford to keep her but i believe its the principle of not wanting to pay hugh fuel bills and not getting many mpg. I know what ever vehicle i purchase next the fuel price is still going to to be the same at the pumps but if im going to line the pockets of the fuel companies and government then i want to get as many miles out of them as poss.

dave
kylecollie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad drumclog this weekend then its getting parked up till needed,still got to find money for road tax ,mot ,insurance,but i aint selling her,will use my wee peugeot till it dies  Evil or Very Mad
DaveRob

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Gloucester, and work in Bristol. Public transport is not an option. There wouldn't be enough hours in the day to get me there and back in time!
My daily trip is 72 miles, at 24mpg, works out to be about £15 a day!!  Gulp! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> POCUK lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: