Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Water loss - a warning

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Delica Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 16:51    Post subject: Water loss - a warning Reply with quote

Dear all.
A few days ago I suffered that nightmarish water loss thing - engine temp went up, heater stopped working. Let engine cool down, topped up water and all seemed fine for a few days. Then on Thursday, same happened again. Decided to see what waa going on this time having previously done the usual stuff like cleaning the filler cap. Checking for leaks was difficult as it was raining so couldn't see where water was dripping from.
This time though I noticed steam coming from under the intercooler. Unbolted and moved intercooler out of the way and saw the problem immediately - the metal spring clamp that clamps the top rad hose to the engine head had snapped...just like that...and water was being forced out under pressure. Replaced it with a proper jubilee clip.
While mooching around I also noticed that the top rad hose rubs against the edge of the fan cowling under the intercooler and is starting to be damaged. This looks like it could easily cause a coolant leak if left unchecked so I've taped the hose with self-amalgamating tape (damage at the moment is only very slight) and I've bent the corner of the cowling out of the way of the hose with a pair of pliers.
Next tep will be to replace the spring clamps with jubilee clips as they all look pretty corroded. The clamps to the rad I'll leave as spring ones so as not to damage the plastic when it expands.
Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 16:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alan S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 20:32    Post subject: Waterloss Reply with quote

Hi pete
Fingers crossed no further damage is done , I think if it was our old estima engine it would be a new head (vertually garenteeed) they are real bad on a bad overheat. I hope you caught it early and many thanks for passing on the information to all. I'll do an eyeball on our set of hoses tomorrow specially around the fan housing.

Regards
Alan
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While mooching around I also noticed that the top rad hose rubs against the edge of the fan cowling under the intercooler and is starting to be damaged. This looks like it could easily cause a coolant leak if left unchecked so I've taped the hose with self-amalgamating tape (damage at the moment is only very slight) and I've bent the corner of the cowling out of the way of the hose with a pair of pliers.

been there, done that one, bingdon this year on the way home. b l o o d y pain it was, found all the rads covered in the corners with mud as well, all sorted, new hose ex milners, and a big hammer on the cowl.
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No damage done at all - I check temp guage about 4 times per minute anyway Smile
Pete
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Delica Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: