eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Kickdown removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya leebeelee123, well that's what I am thinking about mine, I have had this problem for quite sometime now and as I have already said even drove to and from Bulgaria with it like it, I am going to test the sensors that I have read about on here as some people seem to have cured their problem like that, and also the relay attached to the auto box somewhere?, so I am not ready yet to shell out for another box and the fitting cost I will check all I can first.

Cheers

Netsniper Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 19:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overfilled mine and I thought it was that.
Took some out and now its worse!
Will be getting under her tomorrow!
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya leebeelee123, I would be interested to here what you find, I didn't have any slow symptoms, it all started when I drove over a pothole in Bulgaria, which was more like a WELL?, and since then I have had this trouble It drives like a dream and there is loads of power and as I have said all the 3 gears work fine and how they should, the only other thing that was effected was the way it changed gear immediately after this it seemed to change very erratically for a few days and then it settled down to what it is now ie no OD, good luck for tomorrow and look forward to what you find ?

Netsniper Very Happy
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsniper wrote:
Hiya leebeelee123, I would be interested to here what you find, I didn't have any slow symptoms, it all started when I drove over a pothole in Bulgaria, which was more like a WELL?, and since then I have had this trouble It drives like a dream and there is loads of power and as I have said all the 3 gears work fine and how they should, the only other thing that was effected was the way it changed gear immediately after this it seemed to change very erratically for a few days and then it settled down to what it is now ie no OD, good luck for tomorrow and look forward to what you find ?

Netsniper Very Happy

I've got the first OD change, i.e at about 40, but when I hit 50 it wont lock out, but when I take my foot off the gas it does, but when I gas it again it drops out........
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya just got back in after taking my out to run a few tests, this is what I found ......

OD in the off position , Temp normal, drove up to 50mph at 3000 revs, switched OD On revs drop by 200
That was the first test

OD on Temp normal, drove up to 50mph, at 3000 revs, switched OD off slight drop in revs
That was my second test

As for yours, I thought that the OD didn't kick in till it was at about 50 ish? I am sure I read on here somewhere that it was 50 but I could be wrong ? don't quite understand what yours is doing but with any luck maybe someone with more knowledge can give us some pointers, as for mine although I have tested it in the way I have I really don't know what to make of the results,  so I am hoping some one will tell me what they think, as things stand with my limited knowledge, I think that my OD is working but not as it should, I am happy that the switch on the gearstick is working too , but not sure yet about anything else like the temp sensor and the TPS, so I will have to do a little more investigation with those, in the meantime I am looking round for a replacement box just in case ?

Netsniper
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

General consensus is that a slight change in revs indicates worn overdrive clutch.  [expensive]

No change in revs at all indicates electrical fault.

Revs should be changing by about 1000 at 50 mph.
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley, thanks for the reply, do you think it would make more sense to replace the whole box and not just the OD Clutch? I can prob locate a box in good condition with low mileage, but here in Market Drayton it's not so easy to find someone any good to fit it Rolling Eyes  so if you know anyone in Stoke which is not too far from me then I would be glad to hear from you Very Happy  Very Happy

Cheesrs

Netsniper Very Happy
El Ricko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on very good authority from a friend that rebuilds auto box's that running without a kickdown cable will result in damage to the gearbox.

I have worked out that the o/d on my paj drops the revs by about 500rpm unless you are over 42mph (and at normal engine temp) where it will drop approx 1000.  I am wandering if the o/d drops by 500 but the torque converter is locking over 42 to make up the rest the apparent 1000rpm drop??!
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

austinsevenuk wrote:
I have it on very good authority from a friend that rebuilds auto box's that running without a kickdown cable will result in damage to the gearbox.

I have worked out that the o/d on my paj drops the revs by about 500rpm unless you are over 42mph (and at normal engine temp) where it will drop approx 1000.  I am wandering if the o/d drops by 500 but the torque converter is locking over 42 to make up the rest the apparent 1000rpm drop??!

Hiya austinsevenuk thanks for the reply, I think I will reconnect my Kick down and do the test again and see if it makes any difference,

Cheers

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy
KEVS PAJ

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there just an idea but it could be your torque converter you can pick a second hand one up for about £30 or a recond one for about £200 might not be that but it is just an idea or it may sound silly and you prob have checked but are you sure there is not to much oil in gearbox hope this helps,kev
KEVS PAJ

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry call me a *beep* i just read through the post again and realised you have already mentioned the torque converter lol cheers,kev
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Kev thanks for the reply it's all GOOD

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is definately the o/d clutch, and it sounds that way, I think I would be tempted to get it fixed. Yes it will be expensive, but someone on here put three [ I think ] auto boxes in before he found a good un. Lucky he was doing the work himself or the labour costs would have been sky high.

I had a place in crewe recommended to me a few years ago. I never used them, my problem turned out to be electrical.

Cant think of the name off the top of my head, i'll have a look and post if I find it.

If you go for a second hand box, how do you know how much life is left in that one? You could be lucky, but then again....................
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley thanks for your reply and I take on board what you are saying you are right I guess it will be a new one rather than another box maybe with a new set of problem ? I haven't given up yet I still need to check my temp sensor and see if that is functioning ok ? may as well check all before I give my money away ?

Cheers

Netsniper Very Happy
peg leg pete 2

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

netsniper,

Have you tried shorting the gearbox temperature sensor wire to earth and gone for a drive? Its the blue wire with a white or yellow stripe on it it is also hidden inside a black pvc sleeve. This sensor often causes problems with the overdrive. It's a good thing to try and simple to do.

I hope its this tho' from what you say it does look like the overdrive clutch but as straws go it worth a try.

pete
Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: