QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2001 3.5 GDI engine stumble

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V624V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the drag up of the old post

can anyone tell me how to remove the fuel line at the 8 o'clock position.

It has a green insert looking as if you need to push the sides in, i tried and failed... does it just pull off?

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

V624V wrote:
Sorry for the drag up of the old post

can anyone tell me how to remove the fuel line at the 8 o'clock position.

It has a green insert looking as if you need to push the sides in, i tried and failed... does it just pull off?

should just be a case of push in the 2 tabs, and pull off Wink
you may need an extra pair of hands Wink  as you cant hold the tabs in and remove very easy
V624V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a pair of pliers adapted to squeeze the sides in and still failed.

Was may be a bit timid with it.

Its not really a line I wanted to break as it is in a hell of a position on a LWB.
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

try juicing it up with some wd40 first Wink
the rubber in it may have dried out, and holding it onto the pipe Wink
Scottish Wildcat

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm just about to go purchase a 2005 GDI and I'm looking through your posts regarding this procedure with much interest, do you know if this issue is still a concern on a 2005 model?

Probably the first thing I'll do when test driving the car is floor it(you know you want to but are often afraid to) - in this case I'm guessing it'll show this issue up pretty convincingly

The second thing I'll do is stock up on filters etc...as I intend to keep the beast and dont want to fork out my finest hard earned for an ornament for the drive.

Great thread by the way and it goes a long way to helping me make a decision if the GDI is the way to go or not, if this is the level of help available on here then I know I'll always be able to ask someone who has done it all before.

oh yes, before I forget, hi all, great forum Smile

Andy
V624V

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the club.

The 'Newsletter' from Mitsubishi regarding the repair details that a production fix was put in place.

That was in 02.

http://www.forafters.co.uk/shogun-2001-fuel-problem.pdf

Mine is a Mk.6 2003 and the problem was there... but I think there are numerous reasons for failure rust/poor fuel/*beep* filters.

Give it a good test drive, you will know immediately when getting up the rev range that there is a problem (mine felt like the gearbox was trying to leave the engine!)

The fix is easy, so don't worry too much about it.

I would recommend fitting an extra filter and only put decent fuel in the tank.

Good luck, and nice car btw Smile

Mark
V624V

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods, can you make tidy this thread up and make it a sticky please.

Every time the issue comes up someone has to dig it out.

This is a £1300 Mitsi job done for a tenner DIY.

Cheers
Mark
V624V

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micro Filter Pick, taken from Hi Pressure Pump at rear of cylinder head.

....not wonder it blocks up

Deon Naude

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is seriously tiny Shocked For the amount of fuel that must pass through there no wonder it gives problems.
anomis66

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this problem likely to affect a MkII V6 3.0l (6G72) or is it limited to the GDi 3500?  My symptoms are very similar.  Judders and feels like it's misfiring with lack of power at 1.8-2.5k rpm.  If I turn the overdrive off, runs better but no legs above 3.5k rpm.  I'm not a mechanic but this thread seems to be very detailed so I'm willing to have a go.  Can't afford to have the vehicle off the road but also can't afford £1500. Embarassed
mpurchase

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

anomiss,

I'm no expert and there are certainly plenty on here but I believe the 6G74 (GDI) 3500 engine has the micro filters. The 6G72 3.0 does not. The GDI engine has a high pressure fuel pump to overcome the kinds of pressure required to inject fuel directly into a cylinder (hence GDI - Gasoline Direct Injection) during a compression stroke. The 6G72 uses fuel injection but the more common type where the fuel is injected into the inlet manifold behind the inlet valves. High pressures are not required to do this. The micro filters live inside the high pressure fuel pump.

Mike
javan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

book marked Razz

AWESOME im sure i will be refuring to this
keymanxsi

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpurchase wrote:
anomiss,

I'm no expert and there are certainly plenty on here but I believe the 6G74 (GDI) 3500 engine has the micro filters. The 6G72 3.0 does not. The GDI engine has a high pressure fuel pump to overcome the kinds of pressure required to inject fuel directly into a cylinder (hence GDI - Gasoline Direct Injection) during a compression stroke. The 6G72 uses fuel injection but the more common type where the fuel is injected into the inlet manifold behind the inlet valves. High pressures are not required to do this. The micro filters live inside the high pressure fuel pump.

Mike

Does anyone has the same opinion for the 6g72 3.0l 1989 models ? or any other suggestion ??
SimonShogun

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this thread is still prooving useful to people, I've got the official paperwork from Mitsubishi somewhere with regards to this issue and how to fix it.

Theres no need to take the whole inlet off like I did and theres only a need to change one of the filters but it seems to go hand in had with a low pressure pump change due to some issues with the original pump motors degredating and sending little particles through to block the filters up.

It said that when the mod was done in its entirity that the feed pipe to the high pressure pump un top of the engine should be marked with a blob of paint where it enters the pump.

If your looking at buying a GDI and have concerns then take a look and you should be able to see if the truck has been returned to the dealer for the official fix.
topcatt2010

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19    Post subject: hi i have same sort of problem Reply with quote

[quote="SimonShogun"]:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
i have 3.5 lwb 2001 elegance when taking off its perfect but get to 30 or 40 it splutters its had 2 new fuel pumps and other stuff but problem is still there some on here told me of micro filters did that solve your problem thanks
Ok

She's flying like a deram! :D

Cheers for the tip about the filters, don't know how you guys get them out but it took some significant butchering to get them out and a strip down of the High Pressure pump to clean the remnants of the filters out.

Got a little fuel leak from the outlet of the HP pump but that'll be cured when the new filters are fitted as one of the seals split when I was removing the pipe.

Got about a million and one photos so anyone taking on this task in the future will be able to reference this thread. Hopefully it'll be good enough to become a STICKY as I was close to burning the old girl when it started getting worse! LOL

I now know which gaskets and bits are needed so can make up a parts list for everying as well. Just need to source these elusive filters!

Cheers again.

VERY VERY HAPPY...!  :D  :D  :D[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: